5.04.2016

#MTBoS30: SMART Goals {A Teacher Evaluation Series}

I've decided to do a little series about the teacher evaluation process. It's become a huge deal over the course of my newb 7 year career but it is actually a process I enjoy. I love to reflect and analyze myself and what could be better than organizing it into a cute binder and sharing it? =)

I'm going to go through the process from start to finish, and try to stay as true to that as I can.

We start the school year by giving our end of course exam to every class within the first week of school. This counts as our baseline data.

Those that are on the evaluation cycle will meet with an administrator within the first month of school for our Beginning of Year conference or BOY.

Our district provides a form for us to explain our baseline data, our classroom make-up, our goals, strategies for improvement, and our classroom content. Our goal statement is written as a SMART Goal: specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and timely.


I break up my baseline data into subgroups: 

Based on the first administration of the Algebra I EOC, the class falls into the following subgroups:
Subgroup 1: 6 students scoring between 20-30%
Subgroup 2: 5 students scoring between 31-40%
Subgroup 3: 7 students scoring between 41-50%

Then I break my goal into subgroups:

The subgroups determined by the baseline data will improve by the specified amounts below by the final administration of the EOC: 
  • Subgroup 1: improve by 31-40% 
  • Subgroup 2: improve by  21-30% 
  •  Subgroup 3: improve by 10-20%

On strategies for improvement, I just list every classroom strategy that I use:

Interactive Notebooks
Sorting
Formative Assessments
High level questioning
Compare and contrast
Graphic organizers
Multimedia
Guided Notes
Mental Math Mondays
Talking Points Tuesday
Estimation Wednesday
Tough Pattern Thursday
Favorite No Friday
Quizzes
Tests


For classroom setting I specify gender, grade, IEP or not, failed or not, and how the students are arranged:

The population of the class is 18 students, 8 boys and 2 girls. Two students are sophomores who failed Algebra 1 at the freshman level. The other 16 are freshman who had Algebra I at the eighth grade level.  Four students are IEP students. Students are seated in four groups of four and one group of two. Groups rotate every quarter. Every student has their own interactive notebook which acts as a textbook, and a binder that is organized into bell ringers, handouts, quizzes, and tests. There is no assigned homework.  Instruction runs bell to bell.  

In the content area space, I explain what I'm teaching and attach my pacing guide.

At our meeting we discuss everything on the sheet and if my goals are really SMART as well as possible setbacks. We write two goals per year about two different classes.

Here is my first goal:

Here is my second:

Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. I really like the idea of breaking up your students into subgroups and giving each group their own goal. In the past I have had one goal for everyone. Next year I will try something similar to your process.

    ReplyDelete