5.05.2016

#MTBoS30: End of Course Exam Data {A Teacher Evaluation Series}

I've decided to do a little series about the teacher evaluation process. It's become a huge deal over the course of my newb 7 year career but it is actually a process I enjoy. I love to reflect and analyze myself and what could be better than organizing it into a cute binder and sharing it? =)

See first post about SMART Goals here.

In our district, we give the EOC three times: the first week of school and the end of the first and second semester. The first time they take it, if they get a 25% it's an A. My whole test has 60 problems so the first time I say it is worth 15 points, the second time 30 points, and the the third time 60 points. This is how I determine a grade to put in the gradebook. Students must pass the final administration to pass the class. If they fail the first time, they get a second chance. If they fail it the second time, they have to go to summer school to get credit for the course. They also have to pass the class.

But for my own records, I like to know the pure results. I use Excel to track my data and make graphs.

I have a different tab (color-coded of course) for each class period. Here's a screenshot of one class:


I track the number of problems correct and the percentage grade for each administration. Then I also track their gains in the far right corner. So right now, all of these percentages are calculated out of 60. But it's very easy to adjust so that I can determine the grade. I can easily change the August Percentage to calculate out of 15 as per my district. The dark red line all the way across indicates a student who has moved. I keep their data because you never know who might come back. I also keep a class average at the bottom.

This is a great tool for evaluation because I can then make nice graphs out of this data like so:


I don't think administrators love anything more than some nice graphs. It's also useful to decide if I met my SMART goals or not. This shows the whole class but I could also make graphs for each subgroup. In fact, I don't know why I haven't done that before! 

Well now I have something to add for next year!

Here's the file:

Everything is easy to customize and edit and I would be happy to help if you need it.

Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. We do the same! And we post the graph on the wall of the classroom with student ID numbers(which I can rearrange so nobody knows the order)so students can compare also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought about posting it on the wall. Thanks for sharing that idea!

      Delete